After the discovery of the cannabidiol strains in 1940, a lot of concern about its legal status has been on the rise from users in different states in the US. Over the past few years, we have seen different regional governments make full legalization of its use, either as a medical or recreational drug. In the US, CBD drugs such as Epidiolex have got approval by the Food and Drug Administration. The drug has used in treating epilepsy disorders. But is CBD oil illegal? In this article, we answer this question, looking at which states has fully legalized CBD oil medical uses and which ones are yet to follow suit.
CBD Oil Illegal 2016
- In 2016, not many of the states legalized the use of cannabidiol publically. Therefore, CBD illegal status maintained. It’s in 2016 that non-FDA made approvals for CBD products to get declared schedule I drugs. As a result, the products got subjected to the Controlled Substances Act.
- In the same year, the Drug Enforcement Administration enlisted all marijuana products as a schedule I drugs. It means that production, possession, and distribution of CBD oil products got illegal under federal law. As a result, most of the states considered CBD oil illegal in 2016.
CBD Oil Illegal 2017
- In 2013, some publications and television shows campaigned a lot for the use of CBD in treating seizure disorders. The campaign seemed to have a lot of impact in different states. As a result, more than ten states had the use of CBD oil legalized.
- To most of these states, they allow the use of CBD only if there is doctors’ recommendation. However, there are some of the states which allowed the use of CBD oil without doctors’ recommendation. In 2017, most of the CBD oil users could comfortably purchase the product in some states without any fears. Therefore, 2017 was a year of change for CBD illegal status.
Is CBD Illegal in Texas
- In Texas, CBD oil gets used for medical purpose only. However, the use is under tight regulations depending on the severity of the sickness. Most of the cases, the state allows the use of the oil only for people suffering from epilepsy disorders. However, the extract must contain over 10% of the CBD. Also, it should include less than 0.5% of the THC compound.
- For the CBD product to be legal in Texas, they must grow from a known farm with an approximate 0.3% THC compound. However, the legality still faces challenges with the latest happening in May 2018. It included an attempt to remove all food that has CBD products from the stores. However, the bill didn’t make it through.
Is CBD Illegal Federally
- Even though CBD oil is legal for use either medically or in a recreational form in some states, the federal laws still consider it illegal. The product remains scheduled under the schedule I drug a category for illicit drugs. However, on 18th June 2018, the Senate strongly held on the importance of legalizing hemp.
- Hemp is rich with compounds important in extracting of CBD oil. It means that there is a light to make the CBD products legal federally. Under the current conditions, growing hemp plants can only happen under federal levels. It must be for research purposes only. It can also occur as a state pilot project under the control of states that allows public use of CBD oil products.
What States is CBD Illegal
Over the years, the push to diminish CBD illegal status has been on the rise. As a result, we have seen the number of states where the use of CBD oil is illegal to reduce to three.
These states include
- South Dakota,
- and Nebraska.
In these states, they do not allow the use of CBD of any form or sort. Using CBD oil in these states will earn you a jail term and comes as an act of drug abuse.
CBD oil Illegal in Illinois
- In Illinois, they consider CBD illegal for any recreational purposes. Illinois is among the 23 states where it’s illegal to use the CBD for recreational pressures. However, the state allows the use of CBD oil for medical purposes only. Early May 2018, the Senate approved a bill based on legalizing CBD oil usage in the country.
- It means that the use of CBD oil in Illinois will soon get legalization and users will have something to enjoy. Meanwhile, use of the CBD without any doctors’ recommendation will earn you a jail term and some criminal records.
- When you want to buy CBD in Illinois, ensure to observe all the regulations. Make sure to have doctor’s recommendations when you purchase from the local stores. The use of CBD oil in Illinois will soon get legalization by state governance. Therefore, despite the CBD illegal status here, its users have a reason to celebrate.
CBD Oil Legal or Illegal Debate
There have been a lot of debates based on whether cannabidiol is legal or illegal in the US. It all started with the media campaigning for the medical benefit of the compound in treating different personality disorders. A good example is CNN’s 2013 programs aimed at educating on the purpose of legalizing CBD oil products. As a result, it followed serious debates in regional governments that lead to the legalization of CBD in different states. Of late is the Senate debate of 18th June 2018 aimed at legalizing hemp under federal law.
What we can say about CBD legal or illegal status is that it depends on the region you reside in. Some states allow the use of cannabidiol products in every form. Also, some governments will only allow CBD use for medical purpose only while some completely illegalize the products. The product is also illegal under federal laws.
States Where CBD Oil is Legal
There are ten states in the US which permit the use of the CBD both recreationally and for medical purposes. Here, they allow the use of CBD in any form.
These states includeBuy Now : CBD Hemp Oil Relief for Pain, Stress, Anxiety – 500mg
In these states, you need to visit a dispensary and make purchases legally.
However, you have to be 18 years and above with a doctor’s prescription. Of these ten states, Michigan was the last to legalize the product in the market.
For the states that no longer have CBD illegal status working anymore, the regulations will vary widely. Therefore, we advise that you pay close attention to all terms governing each state. Some states will only allow the use of CBD oil for medical purposes while other regional governments will additionally allow its recreational benefits. Stay cautious and avoid getting into bad terms with the law.