After the discovery of the cannabidiol strains in 1940, a lot of concern about its legal status has been on the rise from users in different states in the US. Over the past few years, we have seen different regional governments make full legalization of its use, either as a medical or recreational drug. In the US, CBD drugs such as Epidiolex have got approval by the Food and Drug Administration. The drug has used in treating epilepsy disorders. But is CBD oil illegal? In this article, we answer this question, looking at which states has fully legalized CBD oil medical uses and which ones are yet to follow suit.
CBD Oil Illegal 2016
- In 2016, not many of the states legalized the use of cannabidiol publically. Therefore, CBD illegal status maintained. It’s in 2016 that non-FDA made approvals for CBD products to get declared schedule I drugs. As a result, the products got subjected to the Controlled Substances Act.
- In the same year, the Drug Enforcement Administration enlisted all marijuana products as a schedule I drugs. It means that production, possession, and distribution of CBD oil products got illegal under federal law. As a result, most of the states considered CBD oil illegal in 2016.
CBD Oil Illegal 2017
- In 2013, some publications and television shows campaigned a lot for the use of CBD in treating seizure disorders. The campaign seemed to have a lot of impact in different states. As a result, more than ten states had the use of CBD oil legalized.
- To most of these states, they allow the use of CBD only if there is doctors’ recommendation. However, there are some of the states which allowed the use of CBD oil without doctors’ recommendation. In 2017, most of the CBD oil users could comfortably purchase the product in some states without any fears. Therefore, 2017 was a year of change for CBD illegal status.
Is CBD Illegal in Texas
- In Texas, CBD oil gets used for medical purpose only. However, the use is under tight regulations depending on the severity of the sickness. Most of the cases, the state allows the use of the oil only for people suffering from epilepsy disorders. However, the extract must contain over 10% of the CBD. Also, it should include less than 0.5% of the THC compound.
- For the CBD product to be legal in Texas, they must grow from a known farm with an approximate 0.3% THC compound. However, the legality still faces challenges with the latest happening in May 2018. It included an attempt to remove all food that has CBD products from the stores. However, the bill didn’t make it through.
Is CBD Illegal Federally
- Even though CBD oil is legal for use either medically or in a recreational form in some states, the federal laws still consider it illegal. The product remains scheduled under the schedule I drug a category for illicit drugs. However, on 18th June 2018, the Senate strongly held on the importance of legalizing hemp.
- Hemp is rich with compounds important in extracting of CBD oil. It means that there is a light to make the CBD products legal federally. Under the current conditions, growing hemp plants can only happen under federal levels. It must be for research purposes only. It can also occur as a state pilot project under the control of states that allows public use of CBD oil products.
What States is CBD Illegal
Over the years, the push to diminish CBD illegal status has been on the rise. As a result, we have seen the number of states where the use of CBD oil is illegal to reduce to three.
These states include
- South Dakota,
- and Nebraska.
In these states, they do not allow the use of CBD of any form or sort. Using CBD oil in these states will earn you a jail term and comes as an act of drug abuse.
CBD oil Illegal in Illinois
- In Illinois, they consider CBD illegal for any recreational purposes. Illinois is among the 23 states where it’s illegal to use the CBD for recreational pressures. However, the state allows the use of CBD oil for medical purposes only. Early May 2018, the Senate approved a bill based on legalizing CBD oil usage in the country.
- It means that the use of CBD oil in Illinois will soon get legalization and users will have something to enjoy. Meanwhile, use of the CBD without any doctors’ recommendation will earn you a jail term and some criminal records.
- When you want to buy CBD in Illinois, ensure to observe all the regulations. Make sure to have doctor’s recommendations when you purchase from the local stores. The use of CBD oil in Illinois will soon get legalization by state governance. Therefore, despite the CBD illegal status here, its users have a reason to celebrate.
CBD Oil Legal or Illegal Debate
States Where CBD Oil is Legal
- and California.
In these states, you need to visit a dispensary and make purchases legally.
However, you have to be 18 years and above with a doctor’s prescription. Of these ten states, Michigan was the last to legalize the product in the market.
My friend told me about CBD oil benefits and I want to use but I am confused about its legality.plz anyone guide me about it
I also wanted to use it but worried about its legality. One day I was surfing on the net and got the best information through this article. For you, I also advise you just read this article and familiarize yourself with such information. This will help you know exactly what you want.